Thursday, February 6, 2014

Discussion Time: Spoilers vs. Surprises

Are you the type of person who likes surprises when you read, or do you prefer to know what's coming?

Personally, I don't mind the odd spoiler. It doesn't ruin the story for me if I know what's coming :) I know - I'm totally weird, right? But if I'm reading a book or watching a movie and there's going to be something bad in the works, I want to know it's coming. When my friend read, "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult, she was so devastated by the ending, that she gave me a heads up before I started reading. I'm SO glad I knew. I enjoyed the book so much more, because I was emotionally prepared. I could put the book down totally satisfied rather than completely shocked.

Now - I don't always want to know, especially if it's a who dunnit type book. I like to be surprised then, but if something shockingly tragic is going to occur, I want to know about it! I'm also guilty of skipping to the end to make sure a couple end up together. Even just reading one little sentence to make sure I get me HEA is enough to settle my nerves and then I can go back and enjoy the rest of the book without stressing :)

How about you?
Do you mind spoilers?

3 comments:

  1. I don't mind spoilers. I have a serious issue with skipping ahead in a story to see whats coming at me. I rarely ever read a book without popping ahead for a bit. I give myself 3 seconds, and then start reading again. I am a weird girl for that, but I honestly can't help it. I must know, sometimes, ahead of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just the same Jamie. I have to admit, it's been so much harder to do this with a Kindle! That's one thing I love about reading paperbacks, the way you can flick ahead and back again.
      I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this! :D

      Delete
    2. Me too, Melissa! It is nice I am not alone in enjoying spoiling my own stories!

      Delete