Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Little Bit of Honesty...

Sorry I've been so out of the loop the last couple of days, I've been having a bit of a hard time nailing down this cover.

One thing about this whole indie publishing thing is that I'm learning as I go. I thought I should share with you some of the things I have learned in the last few days.

ONE...
Allow plenty of time to get your cover art done. I haven't done this and it has put pressure on me and my designer. Next time around, I will be starting the cover months in advance so that I can keep adjusting it until it screams perfection.

You see - I had this really clear vision in my head of what I wanted... it's all been put together and I haven't fallen in love with it. Now I feel forced to use it, because I promised my readers the book would be released December 15th.

Can I just say though - my graphic designer, Amanda Crane, is all types of awesomeness. She has been so patient with me and done everything I've asked her too. She's met deadlines and never once complained about my fickleness. So, Amanda - THANK YOU!!

I am comforted by the fact we are revamping the covers for the paper back copies next year and we have come up with some awesome ideas that are going to rock!

TWO...
When it comes to cover design - do some research. I was so set on my vision, that I didn't take the time to pour over other YA covers. Since getting the feedback that my Golden Blood cover wasn't hitting the mark, I have spent a lot of time looking at great covers and I now have a really good idea of what appeals to the YA market.

THREE...
I might be freaking out over nothing. My cover isn't all bad. It has some really cool elements I like. Some people might see it and love it. Others will scrunch up their noses and some probably won't really mind what the cover looks like, because all they want to do is find out what's going to happen to Gemma & Harrison.

I never really liked the covers for Hunger Games, but the stories are amazing. I looked past the covers, because the books had come highly recommended.


Now - without further ado, the day before the book is due to be released.... here is the cover for Black Blood and the blurb.

I really hope you enjoy the second book in the Time Spirit Trilogy. I loved writing it.



Gemma's parents have put enough rules around her relationship with Harrison that she feels like she's living on parole. But she wins one battle—a summer job working for Harrison's step-father. It is the perfect chance to spend the steamy, hot Florida days with her boyfriend. It's also a great distraction from the cellphone hiding in her underwear drawer—her only contact with Gabe, the mystery man who's stalking her. 

When she confronts Gabe, he tells her that her parents are not who she thinks they are, and Harrison has the gall to believe him. Surrounded by conflict, Gemma doesn't know what to believe, and it takes a trip back in time for her to glimpse the sickening truth. 

Thanks to her parents, she returns to the present to find the love of her life no longer exists. His family line was broken and now, so is she.

This betrayal forces her to seek out Gabe. Setting aside her fear of the truth, she must trust this man and learn what he can teach her... otherwise, she'll never get her boyfriend back.

No comments:

Post a Comment