Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Book Review - Screwing Up Time by C. M. Keller


Mark Montgomery is a slacker content with his life. He’s a senior at New Haven Prep, has a great friend, and after graduation he’ll get a brand new sports car from his parents, assuming he stays out of trouble. Then, she comes into his life—Miranda with her I-just-escaped-from-a-Renaissance-Fair clothing. Only, she hasn’t. She has come from Bodiam Castle in the Middle Ages and demands a secret ingredient and a book of recipes for traveling through the treacherous colors of time. Although Mark has never even heard of either before, he must find them, or Miranda will die. To save her, Mark must break into a psych hospital to visit his grandfather who once tried to kill him, pass through the colors of time, take on a medieval alchemist, prevent Miranda’s marriage to a two-timing baron, and keep it all hidden from his parents. The sports car is definitely in trouble.


This book captured me from the first chapter. I warmed to Mark immediately. He was a well rounded character with flaws and a typical laziness that can only be attributed to teenage boys who aren't quite sure where they're headed. I loved it. I found him endearing and incredibly human. I also liked Mark's best friend, Brian. Every person in the world needs a friend like this - someone who refuses to give up on you. In my opinion, Mark's character is made better by Brian's influence and I loved the friendship between them.

Miranda took a while to grow on me, but I loved her tenacity. I look forward to seeing more of her in the coming sequel.

Aside from the magic of time travel, this book was incredibly real. What I mean is... the family situations for Mark and Brian, the tension between different characters, and the unspoken secrets from the past touched on very real human emotion. C. M. Keller captured these emotions with raw beauty.

The story was written with intelligence and style. The mystery carried me through, along with the constant surprises that popped out of the pages. Each chapter ending made you want to keep reading.

This is a well-written story with great pacing, real characters and an enticing mystery. I can highly recommend this book.

You can purchase a copy of this book at Amazon.

And you can check out more about this gorgeous author on her blog.

I hope you enjoy the book :)

No comments:

Post a Comment