Friday, April 6, 2012

Friday Favourites - Setting

I have finally found the time to start working on Betwixt. It's taken a while, but I'm ready to get into it now. So over the last couple of days, I've been working on my research. As I was scrolling through information and pictures of the setting (Big Bear Lake, CA - GORGEOUS!!!), I started thinking about my favourite settings for books.

I am a total mountain, chick. I don't know what it is, but I LOVE the mountains. When I think through my database of stories, quite a few of them are set in the mountains or at least an area with lots of trees. Forbidden Territory is an example of this.

I think trees and forest create such an awesome setting, because they bring with it an element of danger and surprise. So many more things can go wrong when nature is added into the mix.

My next favourite setting is small town. I love small town. You can have so much fun adding in quirky characters and bringing the reader into an environment where they can get to know the place as well as the MC does.

So, how about you? Where do you like stories to be set? Do you have a favourite book that you're read, or written, where the setting brought the story to life?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I have a favourite type of setting for a book. I love books set in city's, country towns, mountains, beaches... they all add something different to the story, which is great. I also like to set my books in different places, usually in New Zealand though as that's where I know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably good to set stories in places you know. You can write so much more confidently and add greater depth to the story.

      Delete