Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday Favourites ~ Clothes

Okay so my absolute favourite clothes to wear are jeans. Bootleg, skinny, flared. I'm a little fussy (you won't catch me in granny jeans) but other than that, I love them all. So naturally I dress my characters in jeans too.

Does it put you off if a character is described as wearing clothes you absolutely wouldn't be seen dead in?? I remember when I first read Twilight, I did not like AT ALL the top Bella was wearing in the beginning. Some type of eyelet shirt or something. WHAT THE?

How important is it, that the main character is trendy? And should the author be a little vague due to writing in one fashion era to publishing in another?

What are your fave clothes to wear?

4 comments:

  1. Funny you brought up Twilight, didn't Edward wear a cream colored turtlneck? Who does that unless you're Michael Fassbender? In a film?!

    Anyway, clothing descriptions are tricky because in some senses it's going to date the work, but jeans are pretty timeless. You could say designer jeans and immediately I think of what's designer right now without being described what the author thinks of as designer. Plus you imply things about the character - either they can afford designer or they put all their money into buying one pair so they can fit in.


    I think it's safe to say, no male love interest in ANY book should ever wear a cream colored turtleneck. However, black t-shirt and jeans is timeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cream turtleneck just makes me shudder..... when was that EVER in fashion for a guy?? I agree, black tee and jeans for a guy is perfect!! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Awesome post! I know exactly what you mean. I cringe when I read what some authors dress their characters in. I think vague and timeless is the best way to go.

    Personally - I'm a jeans and tee kinda girl. Plain and simple :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me three. In fact that's exactly what I'm wearing right now :-)

      Delete